schriftzug

About

Contact

Advertise

 

See

Learn

Experience

fb

tw

pi

Neustrelitz

One of the larger cities of the extended area, Neustrelitz counts about 20,000 inhabitants. In the immediate surroundings, the town offers access to forests and almost 30 lakes of the Mecklenburg Lake District with various leisure opportunities. Neustrelitz has for that reason become a favorite for tourists who come here for accommodation, shopping and other things. The city’s name is derived from the city of Strelitz, founded in 1349, which was annexed in 1931. This oldest part of today’s municipality is now officially named “Strelitz-Alt”. The old Strelitz water tower, constructed in 1907 (Fürstenberger Strasse) has become a hallmark for both the original and the new town.

MV Neustrelitz Marktplatz

Image credit: horn-hoop-maritim.de

Further sights of Neustrelitz are mostly located in the inner city area, where a number of examples for Baroque architecture can be found Particularly worth seeing, although not in Baroque, but in Neoclassicism style, is the town hall located at Market Square (Marktplatz). It was built in 1841-1843, but burned down in 1891, whereupon it was rebuilt to its original design. The direct neighborhood is stamped by the Stadtkirche (photo), which was originally built between 1768 and 1778, but reconstructed and renovated numerous times. On the inside, a historic pipe organ and altar can be seen.

Another attraction is the former Neustrelitz palace. While the castle itself, constructed in 1731, burned down due to arson in 1945, a few buildings belonging to the original complex can still be seen. In particular the Orangery is worth seeing, it is today used as a café. The old Schlosskirche (castle church) is also well preserved, it is used today for exhibitions and cultural events. Notable are the twelve turrets of the building, reminiscent of the twelve apostels, and the symbols of the four evengelists on the western facade. Most popular with visitors however, are the castle gardens. The expansive park area was first planned in the middle of the 18th century in Baroque style and redesigned to an English garden in 1825. Today, the gardens form the backdrop for the annual cultural open air festival organized by the local theatre company, attracting tens of thousands of visitors per year.

In addition to these sights, a number of other buildings which formerly were a part of the palace complex have been preserved, for example the stables and residential buildings. In recent years, the former port area at the Zierker See have become another city attraction. Here, old storage buildings constructed in the mid-19th century have been converted to residential buildings. The port today serves the tourist boats touring the lake.

The Zierker See lake is only one of almost 30 lakes in the immediate vicinity of Neustrelitz, although most of these are relatively small. While this lake is very shallow and often somewhat muddy, others are better suited for swimming. At the Woblitzsee lake northwest of the city for example, there are a few beach areas and campgrounds. The same is applicable for the lake Domjüchsee which is located in the Strelitz-Alt town quarter. This lake, which is also popular for fishing, has a small bathing area on its northern shore. Several other lakes including the Buttersee, Großer Ketzsee and the Mummelsee are parts of an expansive, protected natural habitat called “Ketzseen” and are thus blocked for motor boat traffic. However, this area offers plenty of opportunities for hiking.